Monday, March 19, 2012

Interview with author Casey Wyatt.

Welcome, Casey. I'm excited to have you as my guest today. I loved Mystic Ink and can't wait for your next novel.

What does an average writing day look like?

I actually don’t write every day. I spend a lot of time planning and working out plot points before I begin to write. I’m a reformed “pantser” and I’ve learned that the most effective way for me to write is to know where the story is going. I don’t have to know “how” events will happen, but I have to have an idea of the beginning, middle, and end. When I’m writing, I generally crank out 1,000 -2,000 words a day (this is with a full time job and family). If I have vacation time, I’ve been able to do 5,000 words in a day. It all depends on the book and what else is going on in my life.


Which comes first for you Casey, the characters or the story?

Usually the characters. Occasionally, I’ve had the story come before the characters.


Who would you have play Nix and Cal if Mystic Ink were made into a movie?

I have no idea! I never imagine real people in the roles of my characters. I have a general idea of what they look like. And I hear their voices and their thoughts loudly in my head! But their actual appearance, I leave to the reader’s imagination.

 
I know you write paranormal romance, are you planning on writing a non-paranormal romance?

Not at the moment. Every story has some kind of paranormal or magical twist to it. Someday I might try a contemporary, but not in the next year!

Are you going to explore other genres?I’ve learned, never say never. If a great story pops into my head (and there is no magic) I’ll write it.


Do you model your characters after people you know?Not intentionally.  I will co-opt phrases or quirks from my family or friends. I’ve gotten some of my best lines from my youngest son who has a great sense of humor. Mostly, I don’t know where their personalities come from. 


What can you tell us about Mystic Ink?

The last thing Nix, a Sea Nymph, wants to see behind the dumpster near her tattoo shop is another dead mortal. She also doesn’t want to hear Hades piss and moan about how the souls of the dead aren’t making it to the Underworld. And Nix certainly doesn’t want to be attracted to supernatural police agent, Calder Quinne when he comes to investigate. All Nix really wants is to run her tattoo shop in peace and quiet. Hey, we don’t always get what we want, now do we?

Are you planning a sequel?

I am currently working on Mystic Storm, Zephyr’s book. Zephyr is God of the West Wind and Nix’s friend. He’s gotten himself into hot water with the Fates. Those who have read the book, they know why. And that is all I’ll say for now.

When can we expect your next book to be released?

My next book is The Undead Space Initiative (Pink Petal Books). I don’t have a release date yet, but I hope it will be in 2012.


What one piece of advice would you give to aspiring writers?


Don’t listen to the Doubt Monster (visit me at my blog to find out who he is)! Doubt and fear kill creativity. Write what you see in your head and worry about the mechanics later. I think it’s more important to write (even if you later deem it to be crap) and keep writing. I think new writers spent too much time on trying to make that first book perfect! Don’t spend years on one story. Write it. Move on. Write some more. Take classes and keep honing your craft. It really is a never-ending journey.

Mystic Ink is available from www.soulmatepublishing.com, Amazon and Barnes &Noble

The Undead Space Initiative – coming in 2012 from Pink Petal Books.



I’d love to hear from you!






Twitter: @CaseyWyatt1


Thanks for having me today Marian! Best of luck with your books.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me here today, Casey. Can you tell us a little about your next novel? Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian. Trying again to leave a comment! And I think I got it this time! My next published book (by Pink Petal Books) is The Undead Space Initiative. Here's a teaser:

      Cherry Cordial, vampire stripper extraordinaire, spectacularly messes up her life with a single act of kindness. How could she have known when she rescued gorgeous rogue, Ian McDevitt, that she would be implicated in the Vampire Queen’s murder? Soon, she faces the wrath of the entire vampire community. To escape retribution, she joins a settlement program to colonize Mars. Her choices are grim: possibly die on the red planet or stay on Earth and face certain annihilation.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Casey, sounds so cool, can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  2. I love Mystic Ink!!! It's cool you are working on a book for Zephyr. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tam! I'm thrilled you love Mystic Ink. I'm muddling my way through Zephyr's book. He and the Doubt Monster are making me crazy!

      Delete
  3. Hey Casey, Mystic Ink was great. I love the cover. Can't wait to find out what you have in store for Zephyr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gerri! I can't wait to read your books too. Congratulations on your two books sold to Soul Mate!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm working on it! Sequels seem to give me the vapors! I think it's all in my head!Thanks for stopping by Julia :o)

      Delete
  5. Hey Casey, Always good to 'see' you. I agree with your advice to new writers, I tell them the same thing all the time. I'm about to re-write the first book I wrote because I love the story, but it needs a lot of work (no surprise there). Good luck with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to see you too, Callie! While I'm writing Zephyr's book, I'm attempting to plot the re-do of my first book. We'll see if I can do it! Thanks for the luck! I need it!

      Delete
  6. So looking forward to Zephyr's story. I love the Mystic Ink world you created. Great job, Casey. Keep em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PJ! You know I love and appreciate your support!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, everyone for stopping by. Casey is having some trouble accessing this page. I just changed some settings and hopefull she will be able to reply to you. If not don't forget to visit her website. Marian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Marian and Casey, can't wait to read your next novels :) Best wishes!
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, Marian, So I'm giving it yet another try. I hope it works this time. I'v gone to each and every author you've posted. I look forward to reading the books. As you know I can't get enough reading material. Good Luck Casey! Love the Cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brenda! The credit for the gorgeous cover goes to artist Rae Monet.

    ReplyDelete